
And we were painfully wrong.
She got a new dress. I got a new shirt. We wanted to look our best as we came together with believers to celebrate the rising of our Lord Jesus Christ. But a celebration is not what we attended. I've shared before about the awkwardness that often comes with liminal space, the transition between two phases of existence. As a church switches over from tradition to relevant, it loses some things and it gains some things.
First United Presbyterian Church of Alliance is Exhibit A.
Amid the snoring of more than a couple individuals, we were reminded by the robed pastor that it was only after Jesus whispered Mary's name in the garden that she realized it was her Lord, and that even Jesus' closest disciples didn't believe that he'd risen until they saw him face-to-face. Though I never quite determined the bottom-line to his message, I was gladdened by the opportunity to open a hymnal and sing multiple verses to several hymns throughout the 75-minute service.
Please don't hear me say "we didn't get anything out of it;" It's not about us, but about Jesus Christ and we were glad to being worshiping together on Sunday. Nor am I saying "They were too outdated;" I've written more than once about how wonderful are the sacred traditions within the Church. I suppose the bottom line of what I am trying to present is this: Hannah and I both agreed after Sunday morning's service that First United Presbyterian Church in Alliance is the kind of church that makes nonbelievers not want to try going to church again, and it truly saddens me to say that.
Nonetheless, the one thing I cannot get away from is this:
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25Regardless of who was talking to themselves, how awkward the preaching was, or how many dozed off within the first two minutes, the body of Christ remains together. The body of Christ is not forsaking their meeting together. The family of believers out at First United Presbyterian remain an image of steadfastness and commitment, both to Christ and to one another, and that is something to be celebrated.
[emphasis mine]
Such a thoughtful and encouraging perspective. Thank you, Tim.
ReplyDeleteAlso, in light of this exploration, if you want a different experience of Easter and a second shot at "celebration and joyous worship," you're more than welcome to join us over at Holy Assumption in about 5 weeks. Eastern and Western Easter are pretty far apart this year.
ReplyDeleteWe should talk about the Christmas Eve service I went to this year when you get to camp. It was another one of those excited to go type experiences. (We actually left before the service was over)
ReplyDeleteArch, Thanks so much for that reminder! That fact has escaped me until I read your comment. I think I might have to extend this exploration a week of two in order to catch Eastern. Good call!
ReplyDeleteTimothy, as harsh as you may feel stating the feelings that you had - this is something that I (and our elders and service planning team) wrestle with every month.
ReplyDeleteWe do not want to create a service that "entertains".
We do want to create one that leads people into the presence of God.
We do not want to make it a "show".
We do want it to be fun and a celebration.
We do not want it to be a "commentary or a social event".
We do want people to have a practical take away each week - "what do I do with what I just heard from the Living Word of God?"
This is tough when you have multi-generational church - lots of Senior Saints, Empty Nesters, Parents with teens and parents of toddlers and newborns. When the people coming are "consuming" then it is impossible to "please" them, however, when the people coming choose to come with a heart of worship - whatever happens can lead them to that point. That being said, a poorly planned service can distract from that no matter what the heart looks like coming in. We try to eliminate distractions and make things relevant while still being reverent. Not always possible.
We hear some hard things and how we receive those hard things determines where we go next! We have to always change and adapt to make sure that we meet each person where they are and seek to move them onto God's agenda for their lives.
You said hard things but they can be used to improve if read with a right and open heart.